Stormbringer is a huge, finely-wrought zweihänder runesword, with a blade at least five feet long from the hilt. The hilt itself is embedded with a large spherical ruby that often looks like an eye in official artwork. The blade is made entirely from an unearthly, vaguely flesh-like black metal, and is etched with mysterious runes so ancient that even Elric lacks the knowledge to decipher them. The runes can sometimes be seen to glow and change colour, cycling from red and purple to blue. The blade is often wreathed in black light and dark fire, and it screams in battle. Any being slain with Stormbringer will have his or her soul leeched out of them.
Perhaps the most unsettling aspect of Stormbringer is the fact that it is alive and self-aware. The sword can be quite vocal, screaming, grumbling, howling, murmuring, moaning, and even singing at times. It is capable of slaying even gods, though it has an uncanny taste for the souls of Elric's loved ones.
The Black SwordEdit
Stormbringer is a manifestation of the Black Sword, a cosmic archetype that can exist in any world of the Multiverse. In some universes, it manifests in other ways. It has been seen as a black jewel, and even a large humanoid demon. It is even suggested that Stormbringer and perhaps any Black Sword's true form is that of the humanoid demon.
Stormbringer displays an array of supernatural abilities, many of which are useful to Elric.
- Levitation- Stormbringer is able to levitate by itself, and can be called from afar to fly into it's wielder's hands.
- Free Will- Stormbringer has a will of it's own and will not always follow the wishes of it's wielder.
- Moonbeam Portal- Stormbringer, under certain circumstances, is capable of cleaving the fabric of space, opening a portal to the Moonbeam Roads.
- Soul Devour- Stormbringer will feed on the soul of any being it slays, passing some of the energy on to it's wielder.
- Grant Super Strength- If Stormbringer's wielder manages to slay enough foes, the soul-energy they receive from the blade will boost their strength to superhuman levels.
- Absorb Law- Stormbringer, though naturally an artefact of Chaos, can absorb Lawful energy, turning the blade bright silver and altering it's effects.
- Godslaying- Stormbringer is fully capable of killing gods, even Chaos Lords and Lords of Law, and is greatly feared because of this.
Stormbringer and ElricEdit
Stormbringer was wielded by Elric's ancestors, the Sorcerer Kings of ancient Melnibone. It was sealed away from the world for eons, until it was discovered in the Pulsing Cavern, along with it's sister-sword Mournblade, by Elric's cousin Yyrkoon. Stormbringer chose Elric and Mournblade chose Yyrkoon, and the two battled desperately. Elric became aware that Stormbringer was guiding his actions, and with an effort of will, he mastered the blade.
Working with the blade and applying his superb swordsmanship skills, Elric disarmed Yyrkoon, defeating him. Stormbringer yearned to take Yyrkoon's soul, but Elric denied it it's meal. Elric would go on to carry Stormbringer as his standard weapon, though he learned to hate it. Stormbringer gave Elric something he never had in life; the ability to live free of his potions and drugs. However, this came at a price. Stormbringer would supply Elric with the energy and strength he needed to survive, but only by leeching the souls of it's victims. To Elric's horror, he soon realized Stormbringer had a particular taste for the souls of those he loved most. This led to the tragic death of Cymoril, Elric's beloved.
Elric would bear the sword he hated throughout the Multiverse, even to the End of Time and the very ending of his world. Eventually, as Elric always knew would happen, Stormbringer turned on Elric and devoured his soul. It transformed into a massive demon, and proclaimed "I was a thousand times more evil than you" before flying off into the sky, the last being of Chaos left in the world, laughing it's defiance in the face of the Cosmic Balance.